Saturday, October 18, 2008

I'm trying to knock out the sun

What a fucking night.

I left band practice and ran to minimize my lateness as I met Berrt by the Chinatown gates. Without a plan other than to grab a bite, in order to satisfy my longstanding curiosity, we ended up going to the buffet that's located in the middle of the main road. It reminded me of the Chinese buffet my childhood friend Louka and I would go to as kids, no doubt annoying the hell out of the other patrons as we 'stealthed' around playing our spy games. Even the jello tasted the same, pure gelatinous sugar with a thick crust top.

When no more food would go in, I let Berrt know he'd have to take me out for a walk now. I nudged him in a particular direction for about fifteen minutes before he asked, "Where are we going?"
"To the Jacques-Cartier bridge. I've never actually walked on it." He acquiesed in that way that Berrt often does, and we made our way along de La Gauchetière and then up to the bridge's path, the scenery around de Lorimier reminding me of a time three years before when I passed by the area daily to go home to my apartment in the Plateau.

I was taken by surprise, the bridge was shaking under our feet at the passing of cars and trucks, giving the impression that the whole structure would collapse in the event of a big enough rumble. The view was beautiful, the whole glittering city, and we made it above the river. It was getting cold, freezing point, and I was under-dressed for the occasion, feeling this would come back to bite me later on.

We walked for 2 hours and eventually made it back to my car, I drove Berrt to Andrei's and went home. I put on an episode of True Blood and fell asleep around 3am, only to wake up at 7am, unable to fall back asleep, I was coughing and clogged, a cold was definitely upon me. I tossed and turned for an hour, then came online to talk to Ted, whom I knew would be around to sympathize. Around 9am I went back to bed and finally fell into a good sleep, but a sleep full of vivid, fucked up dreams. I dreamt I was sliding down a long peer on a boogieboard, only to find a 300 foot tall wave at the end, coming my way. I dreamt of being in a strange restaurant, serving stranger food. I dreamt that my parents and I were driving along a cliffside and went over the railing, plunging to our 1000 foot doom into the ocean.

I woke up, much later than I would have liked, but still feeling tired. The only good thing was I wasn't coughing anymore. My immune system had probably spent those hours fighting whatever was in me earlier.

Now, shit, I just feel like playing World of Warcraft and listening to Buck 65. I'm doing the latter but I gotta finish my programming assignment, put a nice shine on it so that I get an A. No plans for tonight so I might as well get as much done as I can, since I'm seeing Wendy tomorrow afternoon and Iza in the evening.

No comments: